This year for Lent, my church will be completing a Daniel Fast together as a family. This time of spiritual renewal and prayer with God requires intentional planning. I didn’t do so well last year, but this year I’m planning early. So…I’m going to post some recipes as I begin to plan out the food part of this journey. Feel free to use these recipes…
White Bean and Barley Soup with Tomatoes and Greens from Real Simple (This is super easy to make and delicious!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 128-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 small bunch collard greens or kale, stems discarded and leaves cut into strips (4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan (about 2 ounces), plus more for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the broth and tomatoes with their juices and bring to a boil. Add the barley, reduce heat, and simmer until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the collards or kale and the beans and cook until the greens are wilted and the beans are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with additional Parmesan.
Southwest Veggie Burgers by Whole Foods (I haven’t tried these yet, but they are definitely on my list!)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon no-salt-added chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
- Place patties on the baking sheet and bake, flipping once half way through cooking, until browned and slightly crisp on the outside, about 30 minutes.
- To freeze the burgers, bake and cool them, then wrap in foil or freezer-safe wrap; unwrap the burgers and reheat them in the microwave, or place them on a parchment-lined pan and bake in a 300°F oven until hot, about 25 minutes.